November 28, 2014



 





 

LA Times: Some Health Insurance Gets Pricier As Obamacare Rolls Out

October 28, 2013

defund-obamacare-protestor-350x250Thousands of Californians are discovering what Obamacare will cost them — and many don’t like what they see.

These middle-class consumers are staring at hefty increases on their insurance bills as the overhaul remakes the healthcare market. Their rates are rising in large part to help offset the higher costs of covering sicker, poorer people who have been shut out of the system for years.

Although recent criticism of the healthcare law has focused on website glitches and early enrollment snags, experts say sharp price increases for individual policies have the greatest potential to erode public support for President Obama‘s signature legislation.


“This is when the actual sticker shock comes into play for people,” said Gerald Kominski, director of the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. “There are winners and losers under the Affordable Care Act.”

Fullerton resident Jennifer Harris thought she had a great deal, paying $98 a month for an individual plan through Health Net Inc. She got a rude surprise this month when the company said it would cancel her policy at the end of this year. Her current plan does not conform with the new federal rules, which require more generous levels of coverage.

Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don’t qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined.

“It doesn’t seem right to make the middle class pay so much more in order to give health insurance to everybody else,” said Harris, who is three months pregnant. “This increase is simply not affordable.”

LA Times: Some Health Insurance Gets Pricier As Obamacare Rolls Out [continued]

 




The Liberty Crier is delivered to tens of thousands of subscribers daily.
Get your FREE copy by subscribing below!

   
 

 

 

 

 

  • LetsTryLibertyAgain

    I recently received a funny email with a picture of an Obamacare voter who was shocked to learn that Obamacare isn’t “free healthcare”.

    The fact is, the cost of health insurance slightly decreased for women in their mid 60s. For every other actuarial group, the cost of healthcare insurance went up. For young women, the cost approximately doubled. For young men, the cost approximately tripled! And forget about the free market option to opt out. There’s a fine (the US Supreme Court says its a tax in order to rule Obamacare constitutional) that’s more than you were paying to actually have health insurance if you’re young and healthy. That’s how the 85% who had health insurance are being abused to force them to pay for health insurance for ONLY HALF of the remaining 15%… and the inefficient federal health insurance bureaucracy is still underfunded.

    This is the AFFORDABLE Care Act… just like we had the USA PATRIOT Act that is an affront to every US patriot who ever lived.

    I WILL NOT COMPLY.

Previous post:

Next post:

Copyright ©2014 LibertyCrier.com